There are a number of websites that list American Netflix DNS codes but is it a good idea to use them? Here’s why we think it’s a bad idea and why you should consider a paid, but really cheap, alternative to watch US Netflix abroad. Firstly, if you are looking for DNS codes for American Netflix then it’s probably because you are trying to access the American Netflix content from a country outside of the USA. In short your options are to try some of the free DNS codes available online to see if they will work for you or to go with a more reliable option like Smart DNS.
As we’ve explained elsewhere on this website Netflix uses geo-blocking to prevent access to their US content if you are in another country. They do this because of the content licensing restrictions the providers of their content place on them. Why would you want to access the US content? Well, it’s just so much better than the offerings in the other countries where Netflix currently operates like Canada or the UK. If you live in a country that isn’t currently served by Netflix then of course you’re going to want to rather access the American content than trying to get access to Netflix Canada for example.
Is it safe to use American Netflix DNS Codes?
The trick is to make your computer’s IP address appear to be coming from within the USA and you do this by “bouncing” of a DNS server. There are a number of free DNS codes that you can use or you can use a paid option like Smart DNS. Why would you use a paid option when you can use the free American Netflix DNS codes? Well, you use the free ones at your own risk and because we can’t vouch for the safety of using any of these free servers we would just rather not put up a list of these codes on our site. You are welcome to check out the codes on other websites and give them a bash. While you may find that some of them work for a while here is why we recommend rather going with a reliable paid option:
Why Free American Netflix DNS Codes Aren’t So Great
- Free DNS codes come and go and while you may find one that works today these often stop working and then you need to hunt around for another one. Often when a DNS code becomes popular the owners may end up redirecting the traffic to a pay site of some sorts to try and make a buck out of the people who were using the codes. This means that you end up having to change your DNS settings on a regular basis rather than just kicking back and enjoying Netflix as nature intended.
- Often the servers that you end up accessing with the free DNS codes are not exactly the best quality. It’s understandable that people aren’t going to invest in a bunch of decent hardware if they’re not making any money out of it. So don’t be surprised if the line speed you were hoping for isn’t achieved. You may just end up buffering for ages rather than being able to watch your movie uninterrupted.
- While some free DNS codes are perfectly safe to use others are not. Hackers have been known to distribute DNS codes throughout the internet hoping that when people use them that they will be able to access sensitive information like credit card details. I suppose it’s reasonable to be a little suspicious when someone says: “Hey, it’s free. I’m a nice guy that you don’t know. Trust me.” Remember what mom taught you: “Stranger Danger!”.
The much more reliable and far safer option to using free American DNS codes is to use either a VPN or a smart DNS service. I know a lot of people currently use the VPN route and while it does work and there are some reputable VPN service providers it just isn’t the best way to access Netflix abroad. We prefer the far better option of using a smart DNS because it’s a lot quicker and more intelligent when it comes to routing your internet traffic. There are some good reasons why the paid alternatives are just a far better option than using free DNS codes.
What’s So Cool About Paid Alternatives To Free US Netflix DNS Codes
- With Smart DNS you enter the DNS addresses for your region only once and they never change. This is a true “set and forget” solution. No messing around with changing DNS addresses every few days. No worrying about how long the DNS addresses you are using will keep working.
- It’s safe! Because these servers are run by a reputable company you know that using their servers isn’t opening yourself up to hackers. Smart DNS Proxy rely on people being happy with their services for their income. This means that they have a good incentive to maintain the quality and safety of their service. If they didn’t then no one would pay them. Which brings us to the next point.
- Yes it’s a paid service but it’s cheap! Even if you settled on the monthly payment option of $4.95 it’s still a good deal. Think about it. How much of your time does it take each week or month to find a new free DNS code when the one you were using stops working or redirects you to some pay site? I’ll bet that this takes at least an hour of your time each month. Would you be willing to work for $4.95 an hour? Didn’t think so. But that’s exactly what you’re doing when you start messing around with the free DNS codes. It makes even more sense to just sign up with Smart DNS Proxy for 12 or 24 months because then the per month cost is just ridiculously low. If you consider how valuable your time is then it’s actually far more expensive to try and make the free codes work consistently.
- The need is for speed! The servers used to provide the paid alternative to free American DNS codes are purpose built pieces of dedicated equipment. This means that you are going to experience far better speeds than if you went the free route. Yes the guy next door might brag about the $3 he saved but when you’re watching your favorite show and he’s busy looking at the Netflix spinning circle of buffering death then who’ll be laughing?
- One DNS to rule them all. Yes Netflix is awesome but it’s not the only great content provider out there. Using a solution like Smart DNS Proxy gives you access to a huge list of other services like Pandora, Hulu, Spotify and a whole bunch more. Check out their services page to see the massive list of paid and free content that becomes accessible to you when you use their service.
OK, so we do tend to go on a bit about how awesome we think Smart DNS Proxy is but it’s because we’ve been using them for ages now and we couldn’t be happier. Forget the hassle of trying to find netflix DNS codes that may or may not work. Just try out the free 14 day trial from Smart DNS Proxy and we’re sure that you’ll never look back. They don’t ask you for your credit card details, DNA samples or anything like that to access the free trial. Just enter your email address, follow the setup instructions for the device you plan to watch on and give it a bash. If you’re not happy after 14 days then just chuck it. I’ve got a feeling that’s not going to happen though and that you’re going to love this solution to watch Netflix anywhere without the hassle of free American DNS codes.